Friday 6 January 2012

''Swimmers are in the way, not on the menu"

Sharks swimming not in Sydney but the Bahamas: http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photos/best-pod-september-2011/
It's windy and overcast in Sydney. 

I got up at 4.30am, looked out the window, turned off my alarm and went back to bed. Some days I can't reach my body switch to flip it back on. This morning the ol' mortal coil groaned and wimpered: "I have suffered enough, let me sleep bitch."

I caved in and missed squad at Bondi.

I'm naughty because I really should be working out for the weekend - this Sunday North Bondi hosts The Roughwater 1km and 2km swims. A lot of punters do both but I'm not sure I'm ready for 3km.

In the meantime, I thought you might be interested in this article from The Sydney Morning Herald, which discusses the misleading use of the term 'shark attack'. The experts interviewed for the story claim us humans are of little interest to sharks for a variety of reasons including our low nutrition rating! Also explored is the concept of the 'rogue shark' made popular by the film Jaws

One of the experts quoted in the story has tagged bull sharks. She said last year on Australia Day (January 26) when the harbour was choccas with pleasure craft, swimmers and an organised swim off the Sydney Opera House steps, there were seven bullies roaming around the harbour. It's a little off-putting but they are out there. 

I noticed Jaws is on Channel 7 on Tuesday night and rated as a 'Thriller' (Jaws 3 is on Saturday at 11.10pm - it's rated as 'Horror'). 

Here's the link to the SMH story:


Think of it this way: it's not an 'attack', rather just a 'bite'.

No comments: