Thursday 19 August 2010

What I learnt at the RWA conference: part 1


What a week it's been. Most days I feel like I'm chasing my tail, but just lately I'm more of a spinning top that can't be slowed down. There's a riduculous 1960s movie called Stop the world - I want to get off. That's how I feel a lot of the time.

Today, I finally drew breath. So, here's the first part of my summary of the 2010 RWA Conference held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Coogee (I barely got to see the beach).

Friday: Debra Dixon - GMC and the hero's journey. American Debra Dixon is hailed as the authority on goal, motivation and conflict and, for someone like me who hasn't read all the how-to books, there was a lot to learn.

Lighbulb moment: 'Dominant impression'. This is a two-word description of the story's main protagonists - 1. adjective 2. descriptive noun. Debra gave Star Wars' Princess Leia as an example. The princess is a 1. royal 2. rebel.

Saturday: Melanie Milburne - From Bin to Bestseller. Melanie writes Sexy for Harlequin. She used the classic fairytale movie Pretty Woman to illustrate structure (story).

Lightbulb moment: "Layer in knowledge early in the story and resolve it later in the story."

I have reams of notes, but these gems are the standouts for me. Bleeding obvious?

More soon from the two Sunday workshops. But for now, it's back to the spinning top.

2 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

Have to agree with you. Dominant impression was a definite lightbulb for me to, and all of Melanie Milburne's workshop (not sure I could pick one thing). Must watch Pretty Woman again - and track down Leap Year. Justifiable procrastination?

Shayne said...

Loved your post on the topic, Anita.

I think I got the most from the Sunday workshops, which I'll post when I feel more like a human being and less like a swab.

MoiXXXXXXXX