Saturday 17 October 2009

Women cry much more than men because we care more

Men cry SIX times a year and more commonly at weddings, funerals and over the death of a pet.

The Daily Telegraph in Sydney didn't give the origin of these research results, but goes onto say that in comparison to men, women cry between 30 and 64 times a year.

The figures reflect my own experience.

I've lived with Spanner for 15 years and NOT ONCE have I seen that man shed a tear. However, in that time we've only been to a couple of weddings, no funerals and, luckily, the dog is still alive.

So, I asked Spanner about this - if, in fact, he has ever cried. He dug around in his memory (big effort) and revealed that 'yes', it happened once. And it was when his dog Fluff died in his arms.

I fit the female average of around 30 (64 times is 'spilt-milk' crying).

I cry out of frustration - because I live with a man like Spanner. And often I despair at the state of the world and the general human condition. Occasionally, I indulge in a little self-reflection, which can move me to tears at my own inadequacies.

I cry when I worry about my daughters' and stepson's futures or at the thought of my elderly parents ever dying.

Then there's the other general stuff. Music and film and the warm glow of connecting with a baby or small child who returns your smile, no matter what.

Only yesterday, I cried in the cinema when Miss Hissy and I saw Julie & Julia. Firstly, I literally cried tears of laughter (in the onion scene) and then at the end I cried because the film was such a joyful experience.

I guess it all adds up. My guess is women are wired to care more.

No comments: