Saturday 29 August 2009

Whatever happened to the rock chick?


Downloaded onto my brand new purple iPod by brother-in-law Davo are an eclectic selection of songs that hark back to the '70s.

I'm having a great time getting all nostalgic. You know how it goes... "Those were the days, weren't the '80s great, etc..." In fact, the '80s really sucked for me.

Now I know how old people get to be so annoying: "In my day we respected our parents and teachers..." or "When I was a kid, we were allowed to run free in the bush (causing devastation in our wake), burn leaves with a magnifying glass (thereby sparking off numerous wildfires) and spend all day in the sun and surf (which is why all my generation now has skin cancer)."

But my point, or rather question is this: whatever happened to the rock chick?

I've been listening to Joan Jett, Deborah Harry from Blondie and the incredible Chrissie Hynde from the Pretenders. The songs are so cool, meaningful, hard-nosed, flirtatious and sung with real commitment. There's none of this yodling Beyonce fat-bottomed jiggling pussy-in-your-face garbage.

And who is this Lady Ga Ga? Scary stuff. And chicks like Rihanna who send out the message that it's OK if your boyfriend bashes the crap out of you - just go back to him and pretend nothing happened (footballers girlfriends here in Australia do that - so sad). Give me a break.

I want real women singing real songs - playing their own instruments. Bring back Debbie and Chrissie and dare I say it (though she only had one good song) Joan! Bring back Suzi Quatro, Chrissie Amphlett (Divinyls) and those women of rock with real heart and soul.

Shivers, does anyone remember Slade? Mama, we're all crazy now is playing on my iPod as I write! Whoo-hoo!

1 comment:

AJ Blythe said...

Shayne, you should hear dh and I. We bemoan the loss of good rock. Our kids are subjected to ages old music (getting in before they reverse the trend, lol). And they love it. Just wish there was more of it around.